nothing is impossible!!!!

nothing is impossible!!!!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Install and Configure Nagios Plugins & NRPE on Solaris 10

I came across lots of issues to do this installation so here is a step by step installation of Nagios Plugins and NRPE on Solaris 10.

Add “nagios” user as “/usr/local/nagios” as home directory.

# useradd -c “Nagios User” -d /usr/local/nagios -m nagios

Change ownership of directory to nagios

# chown nagios:nagios /usr/local/nagios/

download nagios-plugins and nrpe from net. I have download them from sourceforge.

# mkdir /nagios; cd /nagios

wget http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=29880&filename=nagios-plugins-1.4.13.tar.gz

wget http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=26589&filename=nrpe-2.12.tar.gz

Now extract them

# gunzip nagios-plugins-1.4.13.tar.gz; gunzip nrpe-2.12.tar.gz

# tar xvf nagios-plugins-1.4.13.tar.gz; tar xvf nrpe-2.12.tar.gz

Before compiling I had to set PATH to find gcc binary,

# export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/sbin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin

# cd nagios-plugins-1.4.13;

# ./configure –without-mysql (I did want to install with mysql support)
# make; make install
# chown -R nagios:nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec

Install NRPE with SSL library support otherwise you will get error while compilation like this,

“checking for SSL headers… configure: error: Cannot find ssl headers”

If you run “dmesg” or if you check system messages you can see this error.

May 28 19:08:26 solaris10.remotehost.com inetd[24233]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Failed to set credentials for the inetd_start method of instance svc:/network/nrpe/tcp:default (chdir: No such file or directory)
May 28 19:15:27 solaris10.remotehost.com inetd[24241]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Failed to set credentials for the inetd_start method of instance svc:/network/nrpe/tcp:default (chdir: No such file or directory)

# cd nrpe-2.12; ./configure –with-ssl=/usr/sfw/ –with-ssl-lib=/usr/sfw/lib/ –with-ssl-inc=/usr/sfw/include

Still if you compilation fails please apply these faqs/solutions given in nagios faqs.

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/index.php?section_id=4&expand=false&showdesc=true

In my case I had to make changes in src/nrpe.c for encryption. Do make all, make install to create respective binaries.

# make all; make install; make install-daemon-config;

Once that is done, modify nrpe.cfg with approprite settings. Add following line at the end of /etc/services

nrpe 5666/tcp # NRPE

Also add this line to /etc/inetd.conf and convert it into SMF and enable service with -e option. Also checkout whether it went online.

nrpe stream tcp nowait nagios /usr/sfw/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -i

# inetconv; inetconv -e

# svcs | grep nrpe

Check if 5666 port is open and in LISTEN mode.

# netstat -a | grep nrpe

Make sure that your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny does not block your nagios server. Here are the entries

hosts.allow: nrpe: 127.0.0.1, 172.17.38.11

hosts.deny: nrpe: ALL

Final command, make sure that nrpe returns correct output.

# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost
NRPE v2.12

6 comments:

Jonathan Murray said...

thanks, this worked for me.

GBohen said...

Thanks for the procedure.

Actually, it works locally on the node that I want to monitor (i.e. I get the NRPE agent version) but I get the ssl hand shake error when I try from the server. There is no firewall between the two machines

Any idea what could go wrong ?

Thanks

Geoffrey

Keerthana said...

Thanks For Sharing the Articles,just Thanks Is not enough for all Keep Updating The Articles looking towards more

To Learn Python and get a Consequence with Happy Then visit same
python training in chennai | python training in annanagar | python training in omr | python training in porur | python training in tambaram | python training in velachery

rocky said...

Thanks for sharing and eager to get updates from this blog. Great one !!!
Python Training in Chennai | Certification | Online Course Training | Python Training in Bangalore | Certification | Online Course Training | Python Training in Hyderabad | Certification | Online Course Training | Python Training in Coimbatore | Certification | Online Course Training | Python Training in Online | Certification | Online Course Training

John-Skyappz-Academy said...

Artificial intelligence is one of the most versatile and beginner-friendly programming, widely used in many fields
Latest AI technology course in Coimbatore offering expert-led sessions and hands-on learning.

lokesh said...

Honestly, I’m not worried about the course content; I’m worried about the interview. I freeze up when they ask "Tell me about a time you optimized a solution." I saw that some programs offer mock interviews. Can anyone share their experience with the AWS training with mock interviews in electronic city bangalore? Was the feedback actually useful, or was it just a generic HR round?